top of page

Food & Nutrition


In this subject area of Design & Technology, students in year 7 and year 8 will develop a range of practical cooking skills using a wide variety of ingredients, and develop an understanding of food groups and knowledge of nutritional values.   At key stage 4, in the option choice of GCSE Food Preparation and Nutrition, students will develop the knowledge, understanding and skills required to cook and apply the principles of food science, nutrition and healthy eating, providing the expertise and skills to feed themselves and others better by developing practical cookery skills and techniques as well as a good understanding of nutrition. Students will also develop knowledge of the essentials of food science, nutrition and understand the challenges faced globally to supply the world with nutritious and safe food. Year 11 consists of three components: NEA(1) – Food Science = 15% of the total marks; NEA(2) – Food practical = 35% of the total marks; the final theory externally set exam = 50% of the total marks. 

bottom of page